Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Aliens at the Gateway

Working down at J.Jill in the Gateway is definitely eye opening. I've always loved people watching. I've worked at 3 different malls. Whenever I get a chance to observe human behavior, I take advantage. I have to tell you about some of my experiences at J.Jill.
One lady came in and was looking around. She was about 60 years old and seemed calm and interested in the clothing. I was at the register helping another customer and when I was done, I looked around to see if anyone needed any help and this lady was in front of one of the mirrors in plain sight and she had stripped down to her slip. She was trying on an outfit in the middle of the store! I went over and asked her if she would like a dressing room (which was right around the corner) and she declined saying her friend was out in the car waiting for her and she needed to hurry. However, she stayed and tried on several different things for about a half hour before she left. All in the middle of the store. She has been back several times and sometimes she uses a dressing room and sometimes not. She rarely buys anything.
Another lady came in one Saturday before Christmas. This lady was in her late 40's and was going around the whole store grabbing items and leaving them on the counter. When I asked her if these things were buy or put back she said she wanted them all. So I started taking them off hangers and folding them. She kept going and finding more. About 30 or 40 things later, she said she was done and so I started ringing up all the items and it came to $1500.00 dollars. She plopped down her Amex card like it was no big deal and she was out of there. In my mind I could not relate to this woman. She showed no remorse or hesitation about spending that kind of money in one store!
Another lady came in and she had a giant box with her. Anytime a customer has a box it means they have come to bring something back that they've ordered through the catalog. But this was a giant box. Bigger than a microwave. She plopped it down and said she was going to look around the store. So I started going through the box to find receipts. The hardest part about a return is matching the return items to the right receipt. She had 9 receipts and about 30 things to return. It took me 45 minutes to do this return and when I was done the total came to over $1,000. She had ordered it all over the Internet when she was PREGNANT and was disappointed when she had the baby and none of it fit her. ANYONE COULD HAVE TOLD HER THAT YOU DON'T FIT INTO YOUR NORMAL SIZE AFTER YOU'VE HAD A BABY! She also said that her husband doesn't want her buying anything online anymore. I don't blame him.
Welcome to the wonderful world of retail sales. People are not normal when they are in a store. And I just observe and report. I have many more stories to tell...for another time. Enjoy!

No comments: