Sunday, July 15, 2007

Recent Reads

I thought I'd give an update on some of the books I've read this year. My very first blog entry was a top 10 book list and since then, I've left you hanging. So here goes.
In January we read "How to Read Literature Like a Professor" by Thomas Foster. We really enjoyed this because it taught us some tricks that writers use. What hidden meaning is behind this and what does that character stand for. Very informative.
In February we read "The Bonesetter's Daughter" by Amy Tan. It was about a mother/daughter relationship from different countries. One brought up in China and the other in America.
In May we read "Princess Academy" by Shannon Bryner Hale. It's more for teens than adults but still a good read. Shannon is from Utah and it was interesting to know that from the start. It makes you think that you could be a writer, too.
We are now reading "Team of Rivals" by Doris Kearns Goodwin. It's about Abraham Lincoln and his cabinet during his presidency. Over 900 pages...we should have started this a couple of months ago. I can't be reading a huge book the same month Harry Potter comes out!! I tried to tell book club to do HP instead of a regular book but they didn't want to hear it. I'm just the youngin' in the group. (By 10 years) Most of them haven't read even one of the HP's!!
On the side I read "the Secret Fan" by Lisa See. It's about two girls who are arranged friends in Japan. They bind their feet together and grow up together. And then separated by jealousy and misunderstanding. It was good. I actually cried. It will make a good movie someday.
Have I bored you enough? I only write to inform and entertain. So hopefully I have done a little of both. Either given you an idea of one you want to read or saved you some money on some that you don't. Read on.

No comments: